Andy Dangerfield Music

Here are some of the reviews I've written for The Independent, Camden New Journal, Islington Tribune and West End Extra.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

X-Ray punk back at Roundhouse


Long before Pink and even Courtney Love there was another punk diva who made heads turn. In the 70s Poly Styrene of X-Ray Spex wore tooth braces and a military helmet and was rumored to have shaved off her hair around Johnny Rotten’s flat.

X-Ray Spex last played at the London’s Camden Roundhouse thirty years ago, at the height of the punk-rock era.

Poly quit the band within three years and has since joined the Hare Krishna movement and had a child.

But she’s back with the band to play a one-off return gig at the Roundhouse on 6 September. I caught up with her…

Do you consider yourself a punk?


No, but the music I play is described as punk rock. I consider myself to be a spirit soul, a ghost in the machine.

What did you want to be when you grew up?


An actress. But I failed an audition at the Royal Academy and gave up. After that I did a bit of fringe theatre at the oval house but nothing major. I was also training to sing while contemplating being an actress.

Are you still mates with any 70s punk rockers like Johnny Rotten?

Not really. I got on the Pistols guest list last year with Tessa from the Slits. But I haven’t seen John since the 70s.

Are there enough females in rock music?

I don’t think so. You have to have a strong voice to sing rock. I think gender is a secondary consideration, but I would personally like to see more women rock stars.

How does your music differ from other punk bands?

I consider my music to be high energy and I think my lyrics are probably a bit different.

‘Bondage, Up Yours!’ certainly was. What was that about?

It is a cry for liberation from the material world.

Why did you decide to reform?

I was persuaded by the promoter and once I said yes there was no going back.

You lst played at Roundhouse 30 years ago. What can fans expect from your performance this time around?

A celebration of 30 years of Germfree Adolescents.

Can fans expect to hear any new songs at the gig?

We will be playing some songs from the second X-ray Spex album Conscious Consumer and one new one.

Any plans to head back to the recording studio?
Maybe…

You ran away from home at 15 to tour the rock festivals. Are you planning to go to any festivals this year?

Probably not here. I don’t like mud! But I am planning to play at a festival in Texas in November.

Who are your heroes?

Radha & Krishna.

Who are your favourite bands at the moment?


Goldblade. I like there song Psycho and their energy. I think John Robb puts a lot into his performance.

Who are your style icons?

Hollywood sirens from the 1940’s.

What’s the biggest fashion faux pas you’ve made?

A blue foam dress I wore with an army helmet, at the Brixton Academy in 1991.

Interesting outfit. Do you still have it?
I think it went to the charity shop.

You’re originally from Hastings. Do you prefer the city or the seaside?

I prefer the seaside because the air quality is better but I like Millennium Bridge as it is still by water.

How do you relax?

I swim; listen to spiritual music and light candles.

Are you still doing yoga?

I practice Bhakti yoga – a kind of meditation - everyday

If this one’s a success, do you think you’ll be doing any more gigs?

Maybe! We'll see..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home